Saturday, November 20, 2010

INTERVIEW WITH A TRANSYLVANIAN FUNERAL parts 1 & 2

INTERVIEW WITH ' A TRANSYLVANIAN FUNERAL ' Part 1
BY:VAMPKITTEN666{USBMS}

                                                 


1- Please introduce yourself and give us a brief history of ' A Transylvanian Funeral ' .......


This is Sojurner from A Transylvanian funeral.

2- Tell us what you have been up to lately...albums , songs , shows , releases......


Well lately we've pretty much just been in the writing process, We're shooting for 13 songs for the full length.

3- Take us into your creative process.. Who writes the lyrics ? How does a song take shape once you have an initial idea ?


Well As far as lyrics go we both write lyrics, it seems to me that I write the majority, not to take anything away from Sleepwalker though!

4-One of my favorites ' Hammer of the Witch ' ..!! Can you tell me a little about this song..Who wrote it ? What inspired you ?

 That song is actually fairly old and was re-worked to fit in with what we we're trying to do musically. Sleepwalker wrote that one solely, so he could,and probably has answered that one better than I have! lol

5-I see that you have Crowley , LaVey and Nietzsche listed amongst your inspirations.... Very powerful men . In what way has their work inspired you ?


We've both read, and agree with a lot of what Lavey has said and written. I believe I have a little more of the anti-Christian perspective than Sleepwalker does. And as far as Nietzsche goes, I've read quite a few of his books. My favorite probably being, The Genealogy of Morals. He talks about how we have come to value the things that we, as civilized people, value. Compassion, empathy, how we value weakness basically, as opposed to the valued things of the past, vitality, strength, which have been deemed sinful by the Christian ilk.

6-What band or artist has inspired you the most to create BM ?

 I personally would have to say that my favorite band, and one of the bigger influences would have to be Marduk. The intensity and ferocity, both musically and lyrically. I've always been into the more extreme music. Belphegor is an influence also. I would say musically though we seem to write rather melodic Black Metal, more in the vein of The Abyss or maybe even some Burzum.

7-What are your future plans for ' A Transylvanian Funeral ' ?

 Domination!!! What else?? lol

8-How is your music received in your area ?

Well the people that have heard it seem to really appreciate it. The majority of our listeners seem to be on-line for now. Waiting until we can release a full length. We have passed out several 3 song "demo" discs that seem to be really well accepted.

9-How does your music reflect you as an artist ?

Always been attracted to the darker side of life, and art. Music to please me, as an individual. If others like it that's great But like to write songs that please me.

                                                                     


10-What do you find the most useful way to promote your art ? Well right now the most useful way to promote our stuff is the internet.

11- Do you or do you plan to play any live shows ? Of course we do. One big thing holding us back on that is the lack of a real drummer! Rather tough to find around here, but it will come together.

12-In closing , is there anything else you would like to mention ? I would like to say thank you for letting us answer these questions for you, and we appreciate any, and all support!


INTERVIEW WITH ’ A TRANSYLVANIAN FUNERAL ’PART II

1- Please introduce yourself and give us a brief history of ' A Transylvanian Funeral ' .......


This is the Sleepwalker...
ATF started maybe four months ago...Sojurner picked up his custom 7 string and started playing what became 'Asmoday Unbound'. I heard something in it...something very simple but very moving and decided we should put some drums on it, write some words and record it. It was done either that day or the next and we knew we had something good...

                                                                 


2- Tell us what you have been up to lately...albums , songs , shows , releases......


We are focusing ..ing the album...writing more songs and wrapping it up. I own the studio we work in and I have been fairly busy with other projects lately...I want the album done within a month...we are thinking up different things to put with the album, stickers, buttons, lyrics sheets, something to dissuade people from just downloading it, which we will also be making available. We are looking at getting some different merch as well...we think the stuff for sale on myspace with zazzle is a little too expensive...

3- Take us into your creative process.. Who writes the lyrics ? How does a song take shape once you have an initial idea ?


With some songs, we write the lyrics together and on others we don't...Sometimes I will have lyrics and just set them to music or Sojurner will write lyrics to the music. Other than a few instances, I have written all the songs as far as instrumentation. Sojurner is a better singer than me, so I like it when he focuses on the lyrics.
I try to use the studio as a tool...I'll write a riff or three and change their key or feel, change the feel of the drums behind them and see how well they fit together. Usually, I get the results I want after a little tweaking of the feel and key structure.

4-One of my favorites ' Hammer of the Witch ' ..!! Can you tell me a little about this song..Who wrote it ? What inspired you ?


That is a song I wrote years ago and was playing in a different band. It always stood out and was a crowd favorite...I wrote the words and music...the words haven't changed but the music has slightly...the intro is new and the bridge is different. This is definitely the best version of the song I have done.
The song is about a witch who is at war or hunting another witch. I see no reason for evil to coexist with evil. Black magic versus black magic. I got the title from the 15th century book 'Malleus Maleficarum', written by two Inquisitors.


5-I see that you have Crowley , LaVey and Nietzsche listed amongst your inspirations.... Very powerful men . In what way has their work inspired you ?

 Sojurner is more experienced with Nietzsche...while I am anit-christian and anti-religion like Sojurner said, I do believe in a power in the universe that goes beyond flesh. Most people call that power god but to me it is ambivalent...Power does not discriminate between good and evil. Crowley definitely is responsible for opening my mind about that; in ways that is futile to describe...knowing power is a personal experience, an understanding...religion is a herd mindset, brainwashing to meet the needs of an idea not an individual, which is something that I like about LaVey, he exposes all that...christian religion denies the pleasures of the flesh, and I, like LaVey, find that to be foolish.

6-What band or artist has inspired you the most to create BM ?


Probably bands that are not BM or death metal...I hate the commercial aspect of music...I think artists should get paid but it has become just a means to an end...I write and listen to a very wide variety of music but there are trends in music and marketing agendas that make me sick...kids are seeing artist sing more about buying Pepsi than they are the artist's own music...metal used to be dangerous to a lot of people and now it is watered down and mass marketed...
I was ready to turn my back on metal and focus on other shit because of that but I thought differently after Asmoday was done. I decided to make the heaviest, fastest and most evil music I could...I know a lot of bands say that, and to me it is a very worn out cliche, but it is very true...

7-What are your future plans for ' A Transylvanian Funeral ' ?


Finish the album and write another one...we want to find a drummer and play some shows, but we aren't holding our breath on that...I have found in my years of being in bands, the less people you have involved, the better...I sucks relying on other people, right now it is just Sojurner and I and we are getting a lot done...
We are thinking of doing something special....like including a booklet with all the lyrics and pictures and different stuff with the CD release...like an 8.5 x 11" booklet...we'll see...when the music is done we can focus on the packaging and other shit...

8-How is your music received in your area ?
\

People seem to enjoy it....we go to shows and hand out three song discs with stickers and postcards and give them out at record stores. I think most of our true fans are here online, and we are fine with that...as long as people listen to it, I don't really care if it is because they found us online or at a show or have a vinyl edition or tape of CD...everyone who gives us feedback is really impressed....

9-How does your music reflect you as an artist ?


It is definitely a part of me...like I said, I listen to a lot of different stuff...I own a studio...sometimes I have to listen to music I don't like, sometimes all fucking day! But underneath it all, I enjoy what I do and it beats the alternative...My beliefs and attitude about religion is very blatant and some of my interests are shown in these songs...I was raised to believe in occult things, tarot, numerology, hypnotism, and a lot of that is here with ATF. I am a bit of an extremist in life, and ATF helps represent that...

                                                                        


10-What do you find the most useful way to promote your art ?


Giving the shit away...music is such cannon fodder to so many people...people don't want to pay for music, which I think is bullshit, but I don't have time to change their minds...if people are really ignorant enough to rip off their favorite artists, I figure they will get what they deserve...Myspace has been a great worldwide portal for us...we met a lot of good people who support us and it is nice to be able to network with fans and other artists so easily.

11- Do you or do you plan to play any live shows ?


If a drummer falls out of the sky and can play this shit, yes...but right now, no...we are focusing  on the album and getting it out...playing live is not at the top of our priority list.

12-In closing , is there anything else you would like to mention ?


Yeah, don't fuck with Infest Productions from Peru, Lalo will rip you fucking off...fuck him!!! Beware!
Thanks to all the fans of our music for supporting us and listening!
Also, thanks to Svartgalgh Records from the Netherlands, Metabolic Records from Wyoming, the United States Black Metal Sect, Marty the Devilman in LA and whoever else I am forgetting...

For band info visit
http://www.metal-archives.com/band/view/id/3540277081
https://www.facebook.com/atransylvanianfuneral

                                                                              


No comments:

Post a Comment