Saturday, November 20, 2010

INTERVIEW WITH HORDES OF THE MORNING STAR

INTERVIEW WITH T.I. AND T.E.
OF HORDES OF THE MORNING STAR
DONE BY : PAIMON (USBMS)

                                                                         




1.
First of all, how long have you been involved in the Black Metal scene prior to the conception of Hordes of the Morning
Star?


T.I. - Prior to the inception of HOTMS, my artistic endeavors had never included direct involvement with a Black Metal scene. I have always considered Black Metal as one of the greatest musical endeavors that an artist can embark upon. Yet, it had never manifested itself in my creations to notable degree before the last year.

T.E. - I've been a devoted listener for more than a decade, but was never really "involved" in the scene.

2. Does there happen to be anyone else who perhaps plays with you during live shows, such as session musicians, or is this completely conceived by yourselves only? And what is the significance of the pseudonyms T.I. and T.E.
?


T.I. - We have yet to exhibit the music we create before an audience. Although nothing is certain at this point and time, studio musicians may play a role in our live line-up. As for T.I, it stands for "The Inquisitor." When we recorded our first EP, TORTURE, I chose that pseudonym to represent the angst for persecution against the whole of my "enemy". With the recording of THRONE, "The Inquisitor" has become meaningless and T.I. is simply used to identify myself. To view the world from The Throne, one must release any meaning attached to the perception of the world before oneself. As I had said before, this path is a musical endeavor. In any artistic endeavor, the artist is changed by their art, and with this growth, the next evolution of the artist manifests.


T.E. - T.E. stands for The Executioner, a pseudonym which represents the Stoic figure who understands that, sometimes, in order to grow as a human, one must experience what it is like to be truly inhuman. Similarly, the name is irrelevant now, and is simply a referential title.


3. I notice that you consider your music Nihilistic Black Art.
What is the basis for this statement? And do you consider yourselves Nihilists?

T.I. - My consideration of our music as Nihilistic Black Art has simply arisen from the growth inspired by our first EP and the art that manifested in the creation and recording of our second EP. A Nihilistic perspective is a window into the music of HOTMS at this point. As for myself. I do not consider myself to be a Nihilist, but I do embrace many basic principles involved with Nihilism.

T.E. - We use the term "nihilistic" to describe the music on a very literal level: it is "nothing" art. Art with the purpose of reducing everything to nothing, art created by humans who will eventually become nothing, art which will eventually become nothing. It has no association with any ideological movement. I don't consider myself to be a nihilist, or anything else.



4.
You have stated on your profile that this is "Black Metal that recalls the misanthropy and anti-social attitude of the
early masters.
" What early influences have you included within the structure of your art? And what bands have you looked up to?

T.I. - It is hard for me to consider artists such as Marduk, Dark Funeral, Mayhem, Dissection, Burzum, etc.
as direct
influences included within the structure of our art. I believe the similarities between HOTMS and "the early masters" are rooted within the black flame. Being able to see eye to eye with some of the artists I have mentioned has reflected in our own music. Respect is paid where respect is due, but I do not consider myself to be someone who "looks up" to anyone.


T.E. - The most influential albums for me are Mayhem's "Deathcrush", Emperor's "In the Nightside Eclipse", and Darkthrone's "A Blaze in the Northern Sky." Other seminal albums are Bethlehem's "Dictius Te Necare", Hecate Enthroned's "The Slaughter of Innocence", Thergothon's "Stream From the Heavens" and Beherit's "Drawing Down the Moon.
"


5. I want to talk for a second about your sound. Your style is very grim and profound.
Is this something that you were going for from the beginning? Or did it just happen to initiate itself?


T.I. - The sound is a result of the elements in our lives and experiences which lead us to create HOTMS. Our style is something that exists without premeditation.

T.E. - It is the sound of existential nothingness, of unbearable frustration and rage, of hatred and alienation, and of absolute Defiance.

6. I see that you have not signed to a label as of yet.
Any labels yet in your sights? Have you been in contact with any
promising ones?


T.I. - Up until this point, we have released our music on our own D.I.Y.
Label, "Pray For Death Productions," but we are
currently seeking a label to release a new full length album and possibly a label to release a vinyl featuring the music off of the first two EPs. We will always have "those labels" in mind which we believe will suit HOTMS the best, but after having a couple of offers fall through, we are open to anyone who is willing to work with us for our full length album.



7. I want to inquire upon your thoughts about U.S.B.M. What in your opinion is the main difference, if any, between U.S.B.M. and other forms? Do you believe the U.S.
is gaining ground compared to the rest? And is it getting better?


T.I. - Regional location of artists has in the past been a deciding factor in the styles of Black Metal, but with the advent of the internet and its massive global reach, Black Metal has become mundane and at times, uninteresting. I would hate to call some of the Black Metal I hear unoriginal, but it it just that. Artists have become conflicted with the purpose of the "Black Metal Band" leaving the art to suffer on a global scale. I can only hope that the situation will improve.


8. I want to go into your composition.
How do you go about your process? What does your lyrical content consist of? Is it a group effort or do you switch on and off between musical and lyrical duties?


T.I. - The writing process is simple. We collaborate to write the music. After reflecting upon the music we write lyrics which reflect our interpretation and the message we aim to deliver. When recording, we split the vocal duties in a manner which suits the particular piece.

T.E. - The lyrics are visceral snapshots of Apocalypse, Devastation, and Disease. The lyrics are usually minimal, because a lot of the thoughts and ideas that we put into the music lose their authority and clarity when they are transcribed into the written word. It's like trying to fit a triangular key into a square lock sometimes. Ideas and language are not necessarily always harmonious.


9. You have a very understandable idea of what Black Metal is to you as stated on your profile.
Do you believe that more
bands of today are leaning toward this concept or leaning away? How do you feel your art stacks against other acts claiming to be going back to the roots?


T.I. - From a superficial perspective, as I do not personally know very many Black Metal artists, many new bands are just that, new bands, "claiming to go back to the roots" because they have not a path of their own to build, or at least yet.
Since I do not consider music a competition I cannot assess how our art "stacks against other acts," but our message and intentions are clear and strong. I do not see this clarity and strength in many bands today.

T.E. - To me, the most authentic music is that which is painful, and most of the bands today are afraid of being vulnerable, afraid of experiencing pain.

10. I see you are from San Antonio, TX.
Is there a big Black Metal scene there? Any bands from there that you perform with?


T.I. - Since we have yet to play any shows with HOTMS, I cannot do any justice to the scene that may or may not exist for true Black Metal in San Antonio. To be blunt about it, as a part of other musical projects, I have grown extremely disgusted with the state of music in this city and this is one of my many driving forces behind HOTMS.

T.E. - I don't know much about the local scene, nor do I care.



11.
Do you happen to have any upcoming shows we should know about?


T.I. - At the moment no. Once shows are scheduled, we will announce them on our website


12. You are currently in works for a full length album.
Any sneak peeks on what it may sound like? When it should be out?


T.I. - 2/3 of the album is currently written. Once it is finished, we will begin recording and probably post samples on our MySpace page. As for the expected release date, that issue lies dependent of our label situation by the conclusion of recording. We are hoping an early spring release, but like I said, that depends on our ability to find a label.

T.E. - The new material is more violent, more haunting, and more bleak than anything we have composed before.


13.
Now talking about your recording, where did you record your two EPs, Torture and Throne? How long were the recording
sessions?
T.I. - We recorded our first two EPs at T.E.'s home. The sessions for both EP's took place in the span of 3-5 days each.



14.
What, in your opinion, is the best outlet that you have utilized that has given you the most benefit in fan base with
Hordes of the Morning Star?


T.I. - As cliche as it is, MySpace. It has proven to be an very effective tool for worldwide exposure to our art.


15.
Any last words or statements before we finish up?


T.I. - Defy all. You are a prisoner of your own ignorance and nothing more. Information is liberation.
Hail The Black Flame!
T.E. - Question everything.

For band info and contact visit
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Hordes_of_the_Morning_Star/85184
https://www.facebook.com/HordesOfTheMorningStar

                                                                        



                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment