USBMS would like to the thank The Negation for their time.
Interview done by: Daemon Black
1. lets start this interview off by having you introducing us to the current members of The Negation and their roles in the band?
THE NEGATION was formed in 2012 by Thanatoath and Agarash, the current line up is:
ASA : Vocals
Thanatoath : Lead Guitars
Nesh Keltorn : Rhythm Guitars
Agarash : Bass
Alex : Drums (session)
2. The band got started in 2012, But you guys are not new to the Black Metal scene, can you explain what the driving force was behind forming The Negation, and how did it all come about?
Agarash : THE NEGATION was formed in 2012 on the ashes of a band called Halphas. We decided to create an ambitious and radical band with devoted and motivated musicians only. So, first we decided to record our 8 titles demo in pretty good quality then to contact experimented musicians of the Parisian black metal scene who would be fan of our music. To play in THE NEGATION, musicians must be : gifted, passionate and ambitious. We don’t want to waste our time with people who don’t know exactly what they want.
ASA and Nesh play already in Azziard and Alex played in a band called Borgia (RIP).
3. Since all of the current members have been part of other bands, was there a challenge of getting everyone's different musical styles in-sync to form The Negation's sound?
Agarash : Not really, we all love black metal(BM) and are open minded people. We have a common goal : to play well on stage, deliver uncommon shows and record the music we like.
4. Your music is very cold and aggressive, with in your face blast beats played with conviction, Is this the original direction you guys wanted to go with the sound? and what message are you guys expressing to the world through your music?
Agarash : Our message, our concept is quite complex, in fact, I am not someone who is really optimistic, I read a lot (history, economics, anthropology, physics …) and I think deeply that our world will soon collapse like in an end of cycle process.
_ 2e world war ended nearly 70 years ago and people who experienced it have disappeared. Their wisdom has died with them. Our elites are definitively become unwise and unreasonable, they are ideological and corrupted.
_ Multiples political and economical tensions exist : China vs Japan, China vs USA, Muslim vs USA, China vs India etc.
_ Economic situation will surely continues to decline because of lack of fundamental research, because of aging of occidental population, because of rarefaction of mining and energy resources. The consequences on the social situation would be immediate.
_ The financial crisis (in peculiar the so called sub primes crisis) is absolutely not resolved. Banks are totally unable to finance real projects but just able to aspire money produced. Our multiples and colossal debts can not be no more paid by common means. The situation seems to be under control because of liquidity injections but for how many months ?
This situation is unstable …
So, our concept is based on these observations of these complex and interactive facts : we have to be lucid and responsible : we have to control and moreover to dominate our destiny.
In opposition, many people even educated don’t seem to understand how our society truly works, they just want to be fed and distracted, just like children, they are chained in a way (CF CD cover).
"THE NEGATION is opposed to those who do not have lucidity, those who submit to ideologies and religious dogmas, those who do not dare to face the truth because they are weak or ignorant.
THE NEGATION is opposed to those who deny or avoid the cold and immaterial law of reality."
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to its close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences."
Sir Winston CHURCHILL, Speech in the House of Commons, November 12, 1936
Thanatoath : Our music is the sound of this end of cycle: either reflecting our despite and opposition to these unlucid people or expressing our depressive and unhealthy feelings as we are also part of this decadent humanity.
5. This question pertains to how you guys construct the musical compositions, are the lyrics written first or do they follow after the music is completed?
Agarash : We definitely write and arrange the music first.
6. The Negation band logo artwork is quite intricate, not your typical Black Metal logo. Can you tell us Who designed it and came up with the concept?
Thanatoath : Somnyum, a brilliant artist from Paris, designed it (http://www.somnyum.com/) .
7. For the 2012 release of "Paths of Obedience " you guys used a drum machine for the recording, but use real a drummer for live performances,. what was the reason behind this and will a drum machine or drummer be used for future releases?
Agarash : We didn’t meet the right person before the recording, good drummers are pretty rare and I suppose you live the same situation in the US. Then “Paths of Obedience” was really well welcomed and hallow us to recruit skilled musicians.
8. As of now you guys are an independent band and not signed to a label. do you happen to be in contact with any at this time? and what is your preference in the matter of self releasing as opposed to releasing through a label?
Agarash : We are currently negotiating with several labels in order to have a strong and reliable promotion. I hope the contract will be signed soon.
9. You guys perform live in full corpse paint. can you give us your opinion on the importance of atmosphere in Black Metal? do you feel wearing corpse paint honors the original spirit of Black Metal in any way?
Agarash : We are definitely convinced by the importance of the visual effect. This is a show and all aspects able to touch the audience must be used.
Our concept, described above, is serious and for sure will become real, we are no more revolting teenagers. Moreover, we want to prove it live. That’s why our concerts can be seen as nihilist and radical.
About the corpse paint, we find them aesthetic and impressive. It’s also a sign to explain our respect and sense of belonging to the BM community.
10. How are crowd turnouts at shows for you guys, and how is the support for Black Metal in France? do you have any opinions on the current state of Black Metal in Europe, as opposed to the U.S. and other parts of the world?
Agarash : Metal in France remains really underground, this music in general is absolutely not diffused on major media (TV and radio) excepted the Hellfest festival which is grotesquely over publicized. Metal heads are generally considered has joyful simple minded people like old teenagers drinking poor beers and howling “Ahhhhh”. But, guess, we don’t care.
The problem for me is the fact that metal head are getting older and younger people don’t seem to be interested in. The metal scene has trouble to regenerate in a way.
For me, BM IS sinister, radical and evil. For me, some culture seems to have a more important death wish (German culture is a good example) and I think it matches better with the BM spirit. Unlike, English people have a really sense of humor and I find their BM generally quite ridiculous.
I didn’t have the opportunity to go the US since 1994, but I think US people are rather more optimist than European people (due to 2 world war on our lands), that’s why perhaps I generally prefer European BM.
11. Is the band writing any new material at the this time? and what does The Negation have in store for the up coming year?
Agarash : Yes, we actually compose for the second album for 2014. We will also shoot a video clip at the end of this month. Many dates in France are already programmed and we will tour with MOONREICH next year. So, the band is quite active and this is the most important.
12. Are there any final words about The Negation that need to be said before we finish up this interview?
Agarash : Read, discuss, observe our world and take the time to think about …
Thanatoath : Prepare yourself to go back to reality.
For band contact and info visit
The Negation www.reverbnation.com Metal | Paris, FR